Dhaka, Banglaesh || Monday, 13 July 2020 || 29 Asharh 1427
Headline: ■ Minister Mozammel recovers from Covid-19 ■ I am doing fine at home ■ Test positivity rate 22.37% in last 24 hrs ■ Tk10,000 crore to combat Covid-19 ■ Prices up, prices down ■ Ambitious budget amidst a pandemic ■ Universities not ready to conduct online classes ■ Danger zones for catching Corona ■ Zone wise lockdown likely from next week ■ 10 rules for June ■ White House went dark as protests raged outside ■ Rename Dhaka in honour of Bangabandhu
2 cases against Indian fisherman for illegal entry
Deshsangbad, Rajshahi
Published : Friday, 18 October, 2019 at 7:22 PM, Update: 20.10.2019 11:48:48 PM

Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB) has filed two cases against an Indian fisherman for trespassing through Rajshahi border and defying the government-imposed ban on mother ilish fishing, using electric net.

Rajshahi Metropolitan Police Spokesperson and Senior Assistant Superintended of Police (ASP) Iftekhar Alam said: “Charghat Border Outpost (BOP) Constable Humayun Kabir filed the two cases with an Indian police station.”

The arrestee, Pranab Mandal --a resident of India’s Murshidabad district -- was handed over to the court around 11am on Friday and later, sent to Rajshahi Central Jail by the court, the ASP added.

BGB 1 Commander Lt Col Ferdous Ziauddin Mahmud said: “A BGB patrol team of Charghat BOP managed to detain an Indian fisherman [Pranab], while two others escaped, after they trespassed through the border on Thursday.

“Soon after, four India’s Border Security Force (BSF) members illegally made their way to confront the patrol team and demanded the release of the detained fisherman.”

He added: “At that time, BGB patrol team informed them that both the detainee and the BSF men would be handed over to the BSF through a flag meeting as all of them were trespassing.

“The BSF members became nervous and opened fire on the BGB members, and tried to snatch the detained fisherman. When the BGB members returned fire in self defence, the BSF members retreated, during which one of them was killed and another wounded.”

Lt Col Ferdousalso said: “A flag meeting between the two forces was held later in the afternoon over the incident, where both sides agreed to not let the matter escalate and take action peacefully through investigation.”

The detained fisherman was handed over to Charghat police station on Thursday night, the BGB official added.


Latest News
Also >>
Most Read
We're in Facebook
Editor & Publisher
M. Hossain
Advisory Editor
Brig. Gen. Abdus Sabur Mia (Rtd.)

Tel : +88 02 48311101-2
Cell : +88 01713 601729, +88 01842 601729
Email : [email protected]
Developed & Maintenance by i2soft