Public gathering banned in Bhola after clashes
The local administration of Bhola has imposed an indefinite ban on public gathering in the district. The authorities made the decision on Monday, a day after clashes between protesters and police left four people dead, reports UNB.
Deputy Commissioner Mohammad Masud Alam Siddique said the move was aimed at maintaining law and order. “It’ll remain effective until further notice,” he added.
Meanwhile, the district bus owners association stopped intra-district operation from 6am citing security reasons, its Organising Secretary Shafiqul Islam said.
Maulana Ataur Rahman, secretary of Islami Andolan Bangladesh’s Bhola unit, said they plan to hold a pre-announced public gathering later in the day under the banner of All Party Muslim Unity Council.
Members of law enforcement and Border Guards Bangladesh (BGB) have been deployed in the district to prevent any untoward incident.
Bhola clash over Facebook share
More than 200 people were injured in Sunday’s clash in Borhanuddin upazila – many of them suffered gunshot wounds.
Police and locals said messages containing derogatory remarks about Allah and Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) were sent to several persons from the Facebook ID of Biplob Chandra Shuvo. Screenshots of the messages went viral on Facebook, triggering condemnation and protests.
Md Enamul Haque, officer-in-charge of Borhanuddin Police Station, said Biplob came to them on Saturday to file a general diary claiming that his Facebook account had been hacked.
Two suspected hackers were detained.