Dhaka, Banglaesh || Wednesday, 23 June 2021 || 9 Asharh 1428
Headline: ■ WTO panel mulls easing Covid vax protections ■ 8 more Covid patients die at Rajshahi ■ Rising number of virus deaths alarming ■ NID might be used as political tools ■ Lockdown extended until June 16 ■ Schools-colleges not reopening on June 13 ■ Khaleda Zia shifted to cabin ■ Budget at a glance ■ Prices up, prices down ■ Shah Abdul Hannan passes away ■ Ahmad Shafi’s death was a planned murder ■ Tax-free investment slab to shrink
Sifat claims Sinha was unarmed
Deshsangbad Desk
Published : Thursday, 13 August, 2020 at 1:21 PM, Update: 29.08.2020 2:41:42 PM

Sinha Mohammad Rashed Khan

Sinha Mohammad Rashed Khan

Shahedul Islam Sifat, a member of slain retired army officer Sinha Mohammad Rashed Khan's film crew, has claimed that Sinha was unarmed when Inspector Liaqat shot him.

“I saw Sinha leaving his handgun in the car when he got down. He came out of the car with his hands over his head,” said Sifat.

He made the remark in a TV interview published on Wednesday while describing the events that had transpired before police murdered Major (retd) Sinha.

Sifat said they were first stopped at an Armed Police Battalion (APBN) check post in Shamlapur where the duty officers let them go. However, right then they were stopped by Teknaf police.

Sifat said: “When we were pulling up the windows of our car door, he [Liaqat] came. He asked for our identities again. When we gave our identities, they placed a drum in front of our car to block us and asked us to get down from the car.”

"I started walking towards the back of the car after stepping out. Sinha also got down. I heard him saying calm down, calm down,” Sifat added.

“Moments later, I heard the gunshots. I saw Sinha was lying on the ground. At first, I thought the bullet did not hit him, it was just a blank fire. Then I noticed Sinha in a pool of blood,” Sifat narrated.

On July 31 around 9pm, Major (retd) Sinha was killed at Shamlapur checkpost of Cox’s Bazar-Teknaf marine drive in Baharchara union.

Sifat, who was with Sinha, was arrested right after the killing and sent to jail the next day after police pressed charges against him. He was released on bail on August 10.

Major (rtd) Sinha, along with Sifat and Shipra, had gone to Cox’s Bazar for the purpose of making a documentary film on travelling.

Seven police personnel, including Teknaf police station officer-in-charge Pradeep Kumar Das and Inspector Liakat Ali, were suspended in connection with the killing of Sinha.

Other suspended policemen include Sub-Inspector Nandadulal Rakshit, Assistant Sub-Inspector Liton Miya, Constables Shafanur Rahman, Kamal Hossain and Abdullah Al Mamun.

OC Pradeep, Inspector Liakat and SI Nandadulal Rakshit were placed on a seven-day remand while the rest were sent to jail by a court on Thursday.

They are all accused in a case filed over Sinha’s murder by his sister with a Cox’s Bazar court.

A Cox’s Bazar court remanded 4 more cops and 3 witnesses over the killing of Major (retd) Sinha on Wednesday.


Latest News
Also >>
Most Read
We're in Facebook
Editor & Publisher
M. Hossain
Advisory Editor
Brig. Gen. Abdus Sabur Mia (Rtd.)

Tel : +88 02 48311101-2
Cell : +88 01713 601729, +88 01842 601729
Email : [email protected]
Developed & Maintenance by i2soft